Author Topic: MY 1980 MOKE RESTO warning not for the purist  (Read 14098 times)

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

MY 1980 MOKE RESTO warning not for the purist
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
Hi all
A few have asked for some more detail and pics of my build so here it is
Well were do I start I have two mokes one under construction and one almost ready for rego (Morgan) this is the one I intend to talk about. Firstly the name Morgan, my 19 year old niece was killed while driving her 1977 mini clubman that she just adored, on 1.1.2010. It goes without saying that the whole family was devistated. During and as part of the grieving I mentioned to my two boys Dale 8 and Joel 6 that we would build one of the Mokes and dedicate it to Tahlia Morgan Spark hence the name Morgan the Moke (Hold on while I wipe away a tear) So the build began in earnest a few
months after her untimley Death. off to the blasters. we were very happy to find virtually no rust

The pin holes you see are where the blasting process blew through the thin/pitted metal. this is in the front side box floor and that was all that was found.

Mavro, bet you would like a body like that when the weld splatter is bouncing off your thongs hey.

The Blaster is a painter and beater by trade so he used a product called liquid metal (comes in a tube like toothpaste) i didnt see him apply it so i don't know much more than that, but he backs it.
 for this type of repair. Battrey box and floors all original and sound.

The boys Dale and Joel with the freshly blasted body before any primer is applied.

After the etch was applied we brought Morgan home for a few weeks while the painter was found

I already had some coulors in mind but wanted a bit of a theme that would also reflect on Tahlia's tastes I had talked with her about the Atiomic green that Holden make, she liked Holden above ford but mini above all. Any way i know she loved that colour and I am red green colour blind so i see it diferently to most but I still really love the colour. So atomic green is the fondation for the colur scheme. She had also recently had some rust repaired on her car and a shiny new paint job, Red with a very subtle purple perl so i wanted these colours in the build. My 8 year  old boy wanted flames so it was decided that the purple perl would be used to paint ghost flames on the Moke ( this didnt happen as the purple looked more brown when applied over the green) I may still do somthing along this line in the future. The little red clubman had recently aquired a set of charcoal mini lights and that is where the black comes from in the build. The colour is Ego perl Ford colour, the photo dosn't do it justice, the colour is mad in the sun light and has a pinkish tinge to it so i have sort of achived the purple I was after. The red is in the engine bay as a highlight.

I was pointed in the direction of a great Guy to prep and paint the car by the bloke that blasted it, he isn't trade qualified but i saw some of his work and it looked good and suited my budget, in all honesty probably about half the cost of a pro, However the paint is changing colour after six months and looks patchy. the painter has been over this morning to inspect and has worked out what went wrong so he has promised to repiant the car. I am going to register and enjoy for a while and probably book in for next winter. I feel really sorry for him as he is a top bloke and very knowlegable. I will fix him up for all the new materials and help with the rub back so he won't be out of pocket just time.

I brought a 1275 engine with some good bits in and on it off the net but it was buggered (i new this at the time) and need new block and full rebuild, turns out I purchesed it from the bloke who used to own Mini Tech (still did at the time) so I had him quote me for the build, The brief was Strong, Usable, as reliable as possible, and somthing with a bit of punch. So the head has oversize valves, hardened seats,, roler rockers, all balanced and lightend double row timming, some fancy strong pistons, 1100s wide journal block twin 1.5 su (not on yet) plus all the normal stuff, I think it should go OK.

Pretty much the whole car has been recoed or replaced New and recoed brake parts throughout.
New seats Moke Aust
New wiring I am still ironing out a few things there
all new pins, bushes, bearings, bolts, rubbers,
New SS windscreen frame
New seatbelts
Powder coated subframes etc

After six months at the painters ( he has a full time job and a family)

Oh, the painter also has a flair for costomising so the front corners were cut off the bonnet and the bonnet clips were welded internally, he also modified the side boxes and the covers and installed nutcerts for the fixing of the covers later, the little brackets that are on top of the side boxes ( the ones the hood bow pivots on) were also removed and welded internaly, most of the seams were smoothed and the whole car straightend. Fuel filler was replaced with a lockable areo style one. not to forget the motif on the back guard thanks the the design flair of the painters wife Ange, I reckon she did a top job. and they managed to slip in some of that purple and black that i spoke of earlier.
I know its not everybodys cup of tea but then again its not everybodys car

Well the car came home just a few days before Xmas 2010 and i had the wiring, fuel tank, lights, subframe and engine in by boxing day the fact that i put it back on the rotiserie made it a lot easier.

The front lights are standard but i will upgrade it the future, rear lights are LED. I am still not sold on the reverse lights but they are there now so they are staying

The young fella was a bit disapointed that there wern't any flames on the car when it came home but i had one up the sleeve, see there was some paint defects in the clear on the front guards , where the clear had been layed on to thick and had airated so i designed and had flame decals made to cover the defects.

The following months were spent sorting out all the bits and working out what went where, i am not big on labeling but i got it back together, only time will tell how well. lol

The car is off to the Mechanic for a few things tommorrow and hopfully ready for engineer sign off the following week. He says another five working days to get the cert and then its blue slip and cruizin. can't wait.
I have ordered the rego plates, black background with green letters  MOKE S  should look sweet. I still have to fab and paint the bars they are at the benders now , they are a cross between a jeep bar and the cali bar i will post a pic when finished

Al
Al

I'm getting closer 150 BHP Vtec moke😁

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

2n A HALF MOKES

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Re: MY 1980 MOKE RESTO warning not for the purist
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
Awesome !!!!!!!!! .... makes my work in progress  look a bit ordinary ..

• Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »
Well I love it...and love the name...sorry about the niece :'( :'( :'(
I can see there is a lot of time and money gone in to it, and it show's
I love all the little changes that are there and you dont see at first... great job.
and The BLING of the paint job...Mmmmmm 8)

Big AL well done

mavro

Darth Moke

• Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »

very neat !!!! love the mods on the bonnet !!!!!

nice story !

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
Hi,

nice post, good to see another project and how it came about, should be more posts like it. :)

In this photo if they are Copper brakes lines, and not just an illusion from the camera/lighting, then you may have issues at the engineers as Copper is not legal for brake tubing in Australia.

Another mod your painter/welding man has done on the bonnet worth a mention is the way he has reinforced the corner and should prevent the usual cracking that occurs here from people pushing/leaning on the front of the Moke.

Terry

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
Awesome work there.  Looks like a lot of time and money have been spent on it, sorry to hear the sad side of your motivation and I hope your family get to enjoy the memories it may carry for you all.

Great work!!  (and a good post, welcome aboard)

Cheers

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »
G'day Al,
           A very nice story and pics of a very nice moke.
Well done.

smoken

HAG

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    No, no, no, yes
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »
Hey DJ.......You've got to be happy with that
Top job... looks great 8)
If it has Tit's or Tires....It'll take  your money!

ONLY A MOKER UNDERSTANDS WHY DOGS LIKE TO STICK THEIR HEADS OUT OF CAR WINDOWS

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback.

Terry, well spotted they are/were copper lines and the engineer already pulled me up. let me tell you much easier to plumb the car with nothing in or on it than to remove and replace with steel once it is finished oh well live and learn. I replaced all the lines last week and was happy to be able to run from back subby to master cylinder in on piece a bit of a task but better than all the joins from factory.

Yes the bonnet mod has reinforced the front end that was the main driver for that mod. the front panel required a lot of work to get it to what you see I also installed a piece of 20x20 SHS, bent to follow the contuor of the front panel (top) I also ran the wiring through that to feed pasanger lighting, works as reinforcment and hides the wires.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:19:09 PM by dacjac »
Al

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
Great story dacjac, very sad begining but a very rewarding project I'm sure,
and a great memorial for your niece Tahlia Morgan  :'(.

Some great detail mods on the bits you have shown us and I'm sure there are many more.

Moke Purist? Mokes are made for customising, even Leyland made each one different ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:07:21 PM by moemoke »
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
Very nice effort dacjac. I'm sure Tahlia would be proud  :) :'(

I wouldn't worry too much about offending the purists. I don't think you've done anything drastic enough to upset anyone. All mods have been done very neatly and in good taste IMO and as Moe said, they're all different.

Thanks for sharing and look forward to hearing more.

Newie

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 09:11:47 PM »
G'day DacJac,
A mighty fine Moke you have there 8)
Love the details you have that make it very tastefully unique ;D
Cheers
Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
Love it Al, Awesome.
Fuel cap is a great idea as well.
Thanks for sharing your story and loss..
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »
Hi Mokers

I dropped Morgan down to the mechanics the other morning on the way to work at 4.45am the short trip was a bit cool but the car drove quite nicley and felt tight with no rattles or vibrations, so that was positive.

I could't get the brakes to give constant peddal pressure. I bled them and the peddal was good and firm and less than a minute later it was soft and required pumping. I put 2.5 L of fluid through the sysem and thought this would be enough. The mechanic is into minis as well he has a MINI cooper S convertable and a 1970 mkII mini cooper S , both nice.
Turns out one of the disks were too thin and I had put the rear brake adjusters in backwards. In hind sight labeling and more pics may have been a better idea :-\. I am sure I will have done some other stuff wrong but its all part of the learning i supose.Any way brake have been sorted with two new disks and the offending brake adjusters installed correctly. While it is at the shop I had them fit an Electrinc ignition and tune up, I don't have the car back yet but am told its running sweet. the ignition is a lucas electronic ditributer purchased from mini king, has anyone else used this option?? Good ?? Bad??  wheel alignment is still to be done and I was hoping to get the car back Friday but they wern't finished so hopfully Monday, I had the engineer booked for today but had to cancell so i hope he is available next weekend.

I started to fab up the front bar today I am not sure if I like it yet but have seen pics of a similar bar on a moke and it looked good, so i will finish it off and fit up before making the call, Opinions welcome. I am after something a bit different from the norm so no cali bars and something a bit more than one tube. If anyone has ideas or pictures I would be keen to have a look

Al

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
Hi Dac, I'll put in my vote in favour of the bar  :).

As you say, have to reserve final judgement until we see it on the car, but definitely has potential.

Newie