Author Topic: International Moke Day 2012 - Melbourne  (Read 3515 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

International Moke Day 2012 - Melbourne
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what they would like to do for a Melbourne IMD this year?

We can either do a combined effort with the Geelong group again or perhaps make the combined effort something we do every two years and maybe head north or east for this year and see if we pick up some new faces, or old faces we just haven't seen for awhile.

I don't have anything particular in mind, but did like the drive for the day rather sitting on display somewhere.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:40:32 PM by Terry »

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: International Moke Day 2012 - Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Go East young man, Lilydale, Poweltown, Noojee, Moe, then back
via Yarragon, South Gippsland (great roads) then on to Melbourne

Might be able to organise a few mokes to join in for part of the trip  ;D
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Homey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
I'm in!

Grand Ridge Road could be good if we go East.

Or Phillip Island or Inverloch if the Geelong guys take the Ferry across from Queenscliff?

Agree the drive was more fun than the park and display.

Cheers,

Homey
1980 Californian  "Percy"

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »
Hi,

I have been looking at the map and considering what other trips are happening with the MOA and coming up with a plan.

In August there is the Noojee Pub run(east), then September has the Alexandria run(North East) and I am still hoping to organise a day/weekend down to Walhalla when the weather gets a bit warmer and the Grand ridge road looks like it could be a good route down that general direction.

Looking at the map I was thinking a cruise out north west via some country roads to Romsey, Lancefield and towards Castlemaine and then come back down Daylesford, Creswick and maybe a bit of the highway to Melton or Bachus Marsh.

This picks up, or goes near, a number of people who came out on last years IMD to Ballarat, give Aussie Clown a chance to join in for awhile and by looping back down to Melton if the Geelong group want to combine events again then we are ending up a little closer to home for them. It is a cruise to check things out and not a standing around for lunch like we did last year and being mostly smaller towns will be a bit more interesting.

A few months ago I came back across some of these back roads and realised I was going over the bridge and out of the valley where one of the last scenes of Mad Max was filmed, where he left the guy with a hacksaw to cut his ankle off or get blown up. I hope to find it again and incorporate into the trip. :)

Terry

Homey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
......where he left the guy with a hacksaw to cut his ankle off or get blown up. I hope to find it again and incorporate into the trip. :)

I hope you mean the hacksaw and not the ankle, Terry  ;D ;D

Castlemaine has an interesting place called the Restorer's Barn.
http://www.restorersbarn.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=26
Mainly resto stuff for houses but they also have a lot of old tools.

Cheers,

Homey the Old Tool
1980 Californian  "Percy"

melbournerob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »
So.....where do we meet you Terry?

Rob
1973 Export Moke (Dad's Toy)
1972 Standard Moke (Dad's Toy 2)

and a garage full of spare parts/rusty bits...

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »
Hi,

At the moment it is the Shell Service Station at Bunker Hill on the Hume Hwy. so people can come around the ring road and up the Craigieburn Bypass. But there maybe an issue exiting the Shell so I have to go and take a look before hand. :)

I did a write for the MOA but it missed the last issue but should be out in a week or so. http://www.moke.org.au/trips-drives-and-displays/392-international-moke-day-melbourne-sunday-30th-september

MoeMoke is organising a run down Grand Ridge Road to the Mirbo Brewery for IMD, but he has yet to put up the details.

Terry

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »

MoeMoke is organising a run down Grand Ridge Road to the Mirbo Brewery for IMD, but he has yet to put up the details.

Terry

Just finished a 3 hour drive checking the route I want to do, should be fun  ;D,
 I'll post some details in another thread this evening.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
Hi,

I have a few details of the first part of the day and will know more once i have gone for a drive over the area in the next few days.

Looking at doing Bunker Hill, Beveridge, Derwuit Gum(?), Springfield, Lancefiled, Cobaw and cross over the Calder at Carlshue and from there things become a little less planned with a couple of options depending on the time frame for a morning tea stop and whether people want to come back via this area on the way home or not.

Terry

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
Hi,

I just got a call from Laurie, the unfortunately proud owner of that Moke with the sinister smiling bumper that fortunately wont be registered in time for IMD, to say he and LPMoke will be joining us for IMD Melbourne. Unfortunately that means no Geelong IMD this year, the first time since 2007.

That gives me at least five starters for IMD Melbourne.

Terry

technosausage

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    maturity is a choice
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
I drove up romsey way the other night via lancefeild and pyalong from Seymour, as its nearly all backroads, I was realising that it would make a great trip.. Was even planning on doing it in my moke maybe next week if my rego comes through. There's always the wallan exit from the Hume if the northern highway looks better and up towards bendigo..

Just some ideas to be thrown in if you're interested terry.

- Jesse

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
Technobanger,

We try to avoid the main roads and highways as much as possible so hoping to be off the Hume by Beveridge or Wallan at the latest depending on how much Dirt road is in the way.

Homey and I are going for a drive on Tuesday to check out the route and in the past 24 hours have heard of another couple of Mokes planning to attend.

I just saw an email go past mentioning the Vic Mini club is going to be in Romsey on Sunday so depending on times the roads around there could be crowded with a-series power. :)

Terry

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »
Hi,

I will probably crash the Mini Club party and meet you, or them, or both, in Romsey or somewhere. 

If VicRoads get the Club Permit plates out in time we will be a two car group - my Moke and my wife's black Austin Mini. 

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »
I just looked at the map, I didn't know where Carlshue was....

One of my favourite backroads is between Kyneton or Woodend and Myrniong via Trentham.  Hardly any other traffic, everyone in a hurry uses the Bacchus Marsh-Gisbourne road.  In fact I am going that way next weekend in the Moke on the way to Echuca.  :)
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »
Hi,

I will probably crash the Mini Club party and meet you, or them, or both, in Romsey or somewhere. 

If VicRoads get the Club Permit plates out in time we will be a two car group - my Moke and my wife's black Austin Mini. 

Cheers,

We are meeting Coxy in Romsey at the Church on the left, next door to the Laundrette around 9:45 or so in the service lane.

Terry